Definition & Purpose
The need for dependable bedside nursing care is as prevalent as ever. Most bedside care in hospitals, home health, and long-term care facilities is provided by a nursing assistant, a valuable member of the nursing profession. Nursing Assistants perform routine tasks in the general care of hospital, clinic, and nursing home patients. They work directly under the supervision of registered and practical nurses. Their role in performing basic patient care assists the licensed staff in providing quality nursing to the patient. The Nursing Assistant occupation is one of a series of possible steps on a career ladder in the health care field.
The Certified Nursing Assistant curriculum is designed to prepare students for careers in health care under the supervision of the licensed registered nurse or registered practical nurse. Emphasis is on basic principles of nursing and development and application of nursing skills in long-term care facilities.
Verve College will train every enrolled student to gain knowledge in both clinical and didactic areas in the field of
Basic Nursing Aide. Upon successfully passing the program with 84% or higher and after passing the
clinical practicum of the course, the student will receive a certificate of competition. Student will also be
eligible to sit for the State licensure Exam.
Students are required to pass the Illinois State Certification Exam for Certified Nursing Aide to work as such in the state of Illinois. For more information, please visit the Illinois Nurse Aide Testing website
- CNA certification exam is not included in the course tuition.
- Please visit INAT website for the latest exam certification information
- Introduction to health care and assistant nursing
- Medical Terminology
- Related anatomy and physiology
- Safety and body mechanics
- Admission and discharge
- Specimen collection
- Basic communication skills to interact with client, family and other health care providers
- Taking and recording temperature, blood pressure
- Patient assisted skills – feeding, dressing and bathing
- Measuring food and liquid intake and output Patient care skills
- Basic nursing skills
- Measuring vital signs
- BLS Training for Healthcare provides (CPR+AED)
- Record keeping
Chicago: (312) 920-8822
Oak Brook: (630) 705-9999
Course Tuition: $995.00
Registration Fee: $100.00 (Non-refundable)
SIUC Testing Fee: $65.00 (Non-refundable)
Enrolled students are required to purchase white scrub sets, stethoscope, gait belt, and wear white